2007年8月22日 星期三

Phrases from the adverb "None" I Mixed Up

Today one of my friends discussed one sentence from the BBC news with me
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6924215.stm).

The sentence is "The plane touched down, none too gently, and immediately the pilot started braking because the runway - even for an aircraft that seats 19 people - is not that long. ".

I misunderstood the phrase "none too gently" used in this sentence. I mixed up this usage with double negative sentences. So I checked up this phrase's usages and put it down below for reference.




none

1 none the worse/better etc (for something) not any worse, better etc than before:

She seems none the worse for her experience.

2 none the wiser not having any more understanding or knowledge about something than you had before:

I was none the wiser after his explanation.

3 none too not at all:

I was none too pleased to have to take the exam again

Here is a artical which gives detailed explaination of double negative sentences.
http://www.cybertranslator.idv.tw/grammar/doublenegatives.htm

沒有留言:

藍色:原文 綠色:生字 咖啡色:定義 深紅色:例句 黑色:譯文或感想