2007年1月30日 星期二

Abbreviations and Acronyms 001

abbreviation
N-COUNT
An abbreviation is a short form of a word or phrase, made by leaving out some of the letters or by using only the first letter of each word.
The postal abbreviation for Kansas is KS.

acronym
N-COUNT
An acronym is a word composed of the first letters of the words in a phrase, especially when this is used as a name. An example of an acronym is NATO which is made up of the first letters of the `North Atlantic Treaty Organization'.

These two words are very interesting and fascinating to me. Once I was having a rehearsal to some senior IT instructors, if succeeded, I would be qualified to teach that course. I didn't make it, and one of the opinions was "Using too much acronym". It's bizzare to hear though there's some other reasons not exposed. I still don't know how to introduce a software skill using as less acronym as they expected.

I want to keep this simple memo as the first episode of a series. Maybe someday in the future I can publish a book called "Scott's Abbreviations and Acronyms". I'll make sure that all my friends will buy one for me first. Of course I will sign the book for them , and I had better practice my handwriting from now on.

沒有留言:

藍色:原文 綠色:生字 咖啡色:定義 深紅色:例句 黑色:譯文或感想